My doc. Says he thinks my bowel is inflamed -diverticolitis.Now -a colonoscopy.Is it possible that it mgt not show bt I could still have it?

David Miller
In brief: Dx of diverticulitis
If you have diverticulosis (non-inflamed out-pockets of the colon), it should be visible on a colonoscopy performed by a gastroenterologist.
However, if your diverticuli are inflamed (i.e. Diverticulitis), the risk of perforation with colonoscopy may be unacceptable. Under the circumstance your doctor may instead evaluate with a pelvic and abdominal ct scan to rule out diverticular complications.

In brief: Dx of diverticulitis
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Gregory Hines
If you do not have infection at the time of your colonoscopy, it may appear normal at the time of your procedure.
But you would still show evidence of diverticulosis.

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery