Who is likely to have a pulmonary embolism?

Risk factors. Risk factor for pulmonary embolism, or blood clot in the lung, includes immobility and blood vessel injury. Patients at bed rest or who are less mobile due to a long plane or car ride are examples of people at risk for blood clots. Most pulmonary emboli originate as a blood clot in the legs but other sources are also possible.
Surgery and cancer. The highest risk is in orthopedic surgery such as knee and hip replacement or hip fractures. Cancer is a common cause as is trauma of any kind to the legs. Immobility can also increase the risk of thromboembolic disease. About 8% of the population have an increased risk of clots genetically. Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy have also been associated.
Depends. There are multiple risk factors for getting a pulmonary embolism. The main ones include right heart failure, immobility, lower extremity surgery, trauma to the leg, inheritable clotting disorders, having a solid organ cancer, and taking oral contraceptives.
See below.... Risk factors - sedentary, smokers, people with cancer, going on long plane or car rides, taking hormones, especially birth control pills.