I've always been exremely scared to fly. Severe panic attack upon takeoff/turbulance. Will Xanax (alprazolam) help? I already have an prescription for other anxiety issues.

Mike Moore
In brief: Maybe, but...
Honestly, if you are that scared and anxious to fly, the amount of Xanax (alprazolam) you would have to take would probably be so much that you would be literally sedated, and not able to take care of yourself in a real emergency.
So if you don't have someone who can travel with you, i wouldn't recommend it. You sould consider behavorial or desensitization training to help with your fear. These programs work.

In brief: Maybe, but...
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Alla Kirsch
Travel Medicine
Fear of flying is quite common and is effectively treated with benzodiazepines such as Xanax (alprazolam) and ativan.
If you take one of these medications, make sure that you do not drink alcohol at the same time. Desensitization can be very useful if you fly frequently but medications work very well.

Dr. Alla Kirsch
Dr. Alla Kirsch
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)
Depending on dose of xanax (alprazolam) you are already taking, usually xanax (alprazolam) helps prevent panic attacks but if you experience anticipatory anxiety while on xanax (alprazolam), then the dose might not be sufficient on days of the trip.
You might try, ofcourse after talking to your doctor, to take half the normal dose when you are waiting for the flight by putting it on your tongue to dissolve. Drawback is nasty taste.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Cyma Khalily
In brief: YES!!
Often prescribe xanax (alprazolam) to patients for fear of flying.
The key is try it at home first to make sure you do alright. I suggest to take one the night before you fly to start the relaxation. Also, you would not take so many that you "zone out" and forget to get off the plane. Do not use alcohol. It will make things worse.

In brief: YES!!
Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine
In brief: Maybe
Many are anxious flyers, even knowing full well that it is very, very safe.
Nearly 3 million people fly every day... Safely! Xanax (alprazolam) can help, taken 30-60" before take off, although there are other longer acting / "smoother" meds. Note relaxation exercises can help a lot, there are even formal classes to help. I would recommend discussing this issue specifically with the md who prescribed your xanax (alprazolam).

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Apart from Meds...
Most effective therapy 4phobia= systematic desensitization.
Involves "exposure"- placing urself in feared situation but gradually, in progressive steps a) in ur imagination, then b) in simulations (video simulations/vitual reality), then c) in real life. At each step, u experience fear but "stay w/ it" until ur level of fear drops/u feel relaxed. Work w/ behavioral/cognitive-behavioral specialist.

In brief: Apart from Meds...
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein