What should I expect after a pulmonary embolism (pe)?

Will anticoagulant. People who survive a pulmonary embolism must be treated to lower their risk for a second event. This is usually done by taking blood thinners for a minimum of 3 months. The length of therapy depending on the details surrounding the clot. While on these medicines blood tests are needed to closely monitor therapy. In most patients they fully recover however.
Expect... Most people who recover from pulmonary embolism will eventually become symptom-free, depending on the size of the pe. Pulmonary function tests done once you recover will help to determine if there is any chronic lung damage and it's severity, if present. If the etiology of the pe is known, steps to prevent another pe need to be taken.
Varies. Common occurrences are shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, fainting or lightheadedness. The most serious is sudden death before you have any symptoms.
Improvement. The vast number of patients improve within 2-4 weeks after a pulmonary embolism. This means that exercise capacity returns to normal and breathlessness resolves. You will likely require 6-12 months of anticoagulation (blood thinner) if this is your first pulmonary embolism/dvt.