I take 600 mg of Zantac (ranitidine) a day. Can I occassionally take more?

Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Zantac (ranitidine)

The recommended dosing for Zantac (ranitidine) is 150mg twice daily or 300mg once daily at bedtime for gerd, gastric or duodenal ulcers.
In erosive esophagitis, it can be taken up to 150mg 4 times daily. Anything more than that may put you at risk of developing side effects, including some serious ones.

In brief: Zantac (ranitidine)

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Why? Seen ur doc?

The issue is why you have to do this.
Have you been evaluated for esophageal problems, ulcer disease, h. Pylori infection (can cause ulcers, gastritis, ca), hiatal hernia, etc. Zantac (ranitidine) is an h2 (histamine receptor) blocker. Lower doses of ppis (proton pump inhibitors), e.g. Omeprazole (prilosec) changed rx. Tried lifestyle/diet changes? U need to see pcp and/or gastroenterologist.

In brief: Why? Seen ur doc?

The issue is why you have to do this.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Andrea Brand