Can dehydration cause heart palpitations?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: YES

Dehydration causes decreased blood volume of circulating blood.
For the heart to keep pumping the same amount of blood (cardiac output), the heart has to speed up therefore causing increased heart rate (tachycardia). When dehydration is extreme, heart rate can be very fast (>>100 bpm) causing 'palpitations' . I.V fluids may be needed to quickly restore blood volume or vascular collapse will occur.

In brief: YES

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Jana Tomsky

If you dehydrated or have "low fluids volume" in blood vesles - heart is increasing rate to circulate blood to vital organs and it may feel subjectivly as a "palpitation" .
Whatever is the reason for dehydration - volume has to be replaced asap.

Dr. Jana Tomsky
Dr. Jana Tomsky
Dr. Cindy Juster