Psychiatrist prescribed Xanax (alprazolam) @ .25mg 4x/day. Is this normal? I fear adverse side effects. Is alcohol ok in moderation? Thank you in advance.

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Normal for what?

A psychiatrist might prescribe xanax (alprazolam) on a temporary basis for anxiety, after a comprehensive evaluation.
What did s/he explain to you about the medication? Has talk therapy been suggested? No, alcohol is not okay in combination with xanax (alprazolam). I also see that you're on amphetamine, but no condition is listed for this. Discuss stopping those with your psychiatrist. You may not need xanax (alprazolam).

In brief: Normal for what?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

Neither one is ok, and definitely not both combined.
Review with your prescribing doctor other options to treat anxiety.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice

In brief: Mommies Helper

This is a dangerous prescription.
Drinking alcohol on top of it will just increase the damage it can do and the addiction it can cause. I would get a new psychiatrist. The goal is to prevent anxiety not just knock you out and make you sedate.

In brief: Mommies Helper

This is a dangerous prescription.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
I'm hoping that the psychiatrist also recommended psychotherapy, and that the Xanax is temporary only. Though I'm well acquainted with the dangers associated with Xanax, I'm hesitant to assume I know enough about this particular situation to recommend someone get a new psychiatrist.