When I take a bit of sugar, like in a candy bar, pudding, soda, etc. I get symptoms of restlessness, shakiness and fatigue. Is this metabolic syndrome?

PostPrandialSyndrome. Agree with the other docs about criteria for metabolic syndrome. The symptoms you describe sound as if your body does not react well to a diet with a lot of sugar in it. Unfortunately, most people with this problem respond to these symptoms by eating more sugar, thus setting up the next episode. Try reducing sugar intake, and be sure to eat plenty of high-fiber foods and proteins to prevent spells.
Metabolic syndrome. As some have shared, metabolic syndrome consists of obesity (in men, waist circumference >40), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar level (fbs >100). http://tinyurl.com/l4qfbjg you could be having trouble with blood sugar control, with both highs and lows. You'd have to check glucose levels when having symptoms to be sure. You can work with your family doctor on this.
Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a combination of signs consisting of: hypertension, hyperglycemia, hypercholesterolemia, and elevated bmi. If you feel restless when you have a high intake of sugars, maybe you are very sensitive to sugars. You should be tested for metabolic syndrome since there is a higher risk of developing diabetes and heart disease in individuals with this syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome? You did not mention if you are on any medications, however, it is unlikely. Consult your primary care physician for total workup to ease your mind.
Hyperglycemia. Nope. The metabolic syndrome is a combination of hypertension, low hormone production, abdominal obesity and pre-diabetes., you are describing hyperglycemia.