How can I find out for sure if I am allergic or sensitive to gluten? Is there a blood test or something like that to be totally sure? Thank you.

Dr. Sara Stein
Functional Medicine

In brief: Gluten sensitivity

Gluten sensitivity is a predecessor to celiac - by the time someone has celiac they may be very ill.
I use gliadin antibodies IgA and igg - simple blood test - 70% sensitivity - to see if patients are starting to react to wheat. Those numbers should be 1 or 2, if they are higher, go gluten-free 80-90% of the time. Near 20, get tested for celiac. Most people have amazing improvement in 1-2 weeks.

In brief: Gluten sensitivity

Dr. Sara Stein
Dr. Sara Stein
Pathology

In brief: Antibodies and DQ

Blood tests for autoantibodies, IgA levels, and dq tissue typing will go a long way to ruling out celiac disease and may obviate the need for a biopsy.
A biopsy is important to confirm the diagnosis.

In brief: Antibodies and DQ

Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: Biopsy

Usually celiac sprue is diagnosed by a biopsy of the intestinal lining.
Alternately, you can avoid wheat products for a few weeks, and see if your symptoms improve and then you will know.

In brief: Biopsy

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Keegan Duchicela