I have severe COPD and I feel good most of the time, but get infections and end up hospitalized. Is it my immune system?

Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Yes...
And your lungs.
And possibly your medicines. And if the COPD is the result of lifestyle choices, then continuing to make those bad choices will contribute to the likelihood of illness and hospitalization as well.

In brief: Yes...
And your lungs.
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Luis Villaplana
In brief: Recent research
The answer to your question is yes.
You will develop chronic inflammation, scarring, circulation and mucus clearing problems that are additive over time. If you are having frequent hospital readmissions, please discuss with your lung and primary care doctors about chronic, long term treatment with azithtomycin, recently found to improve quality of life and decrease readmissions rates. Best of luck.

In brief: Recent research
The answer to your question is yes.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: No
Good follow up with your lung doc is essential.

In brief: No
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Arnon Rubin