I am 20 years old. I twisted my ankle outward while stepping off a curb. I went to the student health svc. The X-ray revealed strain. I got a brace and a crutch. Should I see an orthopedic doctor now or wait for some time?

Dr. Michael Wynn
Podiatry

In brief: Twisted ankle

If pain persists after 3 -4 days.
...See a specialist...She may need an mri.....To evaluate the ankle and tendons....

In brief: Twisted ankle

If pain persists after 3 -4 days.
Dr. Michael Wynn
Dr. Michael Wynn
Dr. Michael Wynn
Your welcome....it is my pleasure to work with all of you..
Dr. Robert Greer

In brief: Brace

I often recommend a brace called "air cast".
This firm splint has air cells inside the sides that massage the ankle to squeeze the edema out of the ankle which help speed recovery. If not improving in 1-2 weeks and/or nearly well at a month see ortho.

In brief: Brace

Dr. Robert Greer
Dr. Robert Greer

In brief: Wait

Given that there's no fracture, there's no need to see a specialist yet.
Give it 1-2 weeks of rice (rest, ice, compression [the brace], & elevation), and if it's not improving then you need to see the dr.

In brief: Wait

Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Kitturah Schomberg-Klaiss
Dr. Thomas Byrnes

In brief: Depends

Depends.
How much swelling? Can you partially bear weight on it? Returning to a normal gait (no matter how slow you have to walk) is the key to success. Ortho will send you to physical therapy and hopefully they will give you a home exercise program and a encourage an early return to walking. When you are sitting, you should be moving your foot and ankle, even if it is only a slight movement.

In brief: Depends

Depends.
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology