I have recently been diagnosed with COPD and I still smoke. Is it too late to quit smoking now that my lungs are already damaged?

Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: COPD

No, this is what you should be doing and it is one of the few things that could prolong your life.
Quit now!

In brief: COPD

Quit now!
Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: NO!!!!

By quitting, you will decrease the rate of progression of your COPD as well as decrease your symptoms by decreasing your airway inflammation.
You will also decrease your risk of lung, as well as other, cancers. So, please quit smoking today! your doctor can help you with this!

In brief: NO!!!!

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: No

Quitting smoking now will slow the progression of COPD over time and may even stop or reverse some of the effects of COPD (this will take years).
But continuing to smoke will definitely worsen your copd, including infections, and affect the lung tissue at a much faster rate than if you didn't smoke.

In brief: No

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Peter Kurzweil