Can I just take "hit" of oxygen when I need it?

Dr. Latisha Smith
Wound care
In brief: No
A 'hit' of oxygen will do nothing for you if in fact your body needs oxygen.
Once a condition has caused lung damage or heart damage to the point where supplemental oxygen is needed, then the oxygen is needed more or less all the time. Sometimes there is a temporary need for oxygen, such as with in pneumonia, but this requires oxygen until the infection clears.

In brief: No
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Latisha Smith
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Yes.
Isn't that what we all do? Well.
.. Technically that is not exactly correct. Breathing is controlled by need to ventilate ( get rid of co2) and the need to oxygenate ( keep o2 levels up).

In brief: Yes.
Isn't that what we all do? Well.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Vikram Patel