Where is an uterine fibroid embolization usually done? At a hospital?

Dr. Kevin Carson
Radiology - Interventional
Yes. Most fibroid embolization procedures are performed in a hospital.

Dr. Kevin Carson
Dr. Kevin Carson
Dr. Raj Syal
In brief: Hospital
Uterine embolization is done by a radiologist in a hospital setting under light sedation.
I am not a fan of uterine embolization due to the significant exposure to radiation, low chance of success and significant risk of complications. With that said, remember I am a gynecologist with a very biased opinion. I am sure there are well trained radiologist that have very good outcomes.

In brief: Hospital
Dr. Raj Syal
Dr. Raj Syal
3 comments
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
I agree. This procedure is a reasonable consideration for someone with symptomatic fibroids who because of medical or other reasons is not a candidate for surgery.
Dr. John Lipman
One does not have to wonder if there are very good outcomes, they are published in peer reviewed medical literature journals including the major Gynecology publications. If you undergo Uterine Artery Embolization, you should expect excellent outcomes for both the bleeding and bulk symptoms. There is NOT a significant exposure to radiation, low chance of success, or significant risk of complication. Very biased opinions and blatant false statements have no place on this or any other medical information site.
Dr. Michael Flax
In brief: Interventional radio
An interventional radiologist in a free standing radiology office or in a hospital does the procedure as an outpatient.

In brief: Interventional radio
Dr. Michael Flax
Dr. Michael Flax
In brief: Angio Suite
Uae/ufe is doen by an interventional radiologist.
Most practice in a hospital setting. However, many irs also offer embolization in an office or surgi-center setting.

In brief: Angio Suite
Dr. Robert WorthingtonKirsch
Dr. Robert WorthingtonKirsch
Dr. John Lipman
Radiology
In brief: Hospital outpatient
Ufe is performed by an interventional radiologist typically in a hospital setting and often as an outpatient.
It has a very high success rate (over 90% for relief of heavy bleeding), and is much safer and shorter recovery times than any of the surgical options. It also allows women to keep their uterus which is important even in women who are not interested in fertility.

In brief: Hospital outpatient
Dr. John Lipman
Dr. John Lipman
Dr. Stephen Hofkin
Radiology
In brief: Most likely
The procedure is usually performed by an interventional radiologist in a procedure room with a special X-ray machine referred to as an "Angio Suite.
" Typically these are in hospitals but some are at freestanding centers and the procedure is typically done on an outpatient basis.

In brief: Most likely
Dr. Stephen Hofkin
Dr. Stephen Hofkin
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine