Once I start on supplemental oxygen, will I have to stay on it? Or, will I become addicted to supplemental oxygen?

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No

There is no description of an oxygen withdrawal syndrome (providing one maintains an appropriate minimum oxygen level) presumably the net benefit of chronic oxygen outweighs the net side effects so a necessary aspect of addiction does not exist.

In brief: No

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: No

Meds may fix it see lung doc.

In brief: No

Meds may fix it see lung doc.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Lokesh Guglani
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: It depends

Supplemental oxygen is provided to make sure that your body's cells are getting enough oxygen to keep working properly.
It may be advised due to a wide variety of lung, heart, or airway problems. Therefore the duration of oxygen therapy is determined by the expected duration of the underlying illness and whether it is reversible or not. Many permanent lung conditions may require long term support.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Lokesh Guglani
Dr. Lokesh Guglani
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology