Why do I always get so short of breath after climbing stairs, but not while I am climbing them?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: See below

You are more likely to notice the shortness of breath after you stop and maybe that is why you stopped in the first place.
Keep walking and you will eventiually get short of breath while doing the exercise. When you stop you have just completed the entire exercise so more likely to be short of breath than when you were halfway finished.

In brief: See below

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: The question is

How many flights before you need to stop? Is this new? Are you overweight? Talk to your physician.

In brief: The question is

Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine