In addition to eating salmon, i take fish oil caps because of family history of alzheimer's. Should i give them up because of link to prostate cancer?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Fish oil

The fish oil link to prostatic ca is not proven as far as I am aware.

In brief: Fish oil

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes and no

The evidence that suggests there is a protective effect from fish oil against alzheimer's is weak and tentative.
I wouldn't take it for that indication. While we're at it, the link showing reduced heart disease is weak too. The strong link is eating fish. Your salmon is good.

In brief: Yes and no

2 comments
Dr. Werner is correct, and I'm also totally unimpressed with the new claim about a link to prostate cancer. Especially when the claim makes no sense biologically, look for a confounding variable. Perhaps people who take fish oil capsules / eat fish are more health conscious, go to the doctor more, and get prostate cancer diagnosed more often. Generally, be skeptical about "health news items" that show correlations that don't make sense -- they're generally not a good guide to planning your life. Enjoy eating your salmon for its own sake.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Excellent points, Dr. F.
Dr. Eric Weisman