What type of doctor can order a LDL cholesterol?

ANY DOC=LDL order. Any doctor can order an LDL cholesterol (as part of a lipid panel: ldl, hdl, total cholesterol, triglycerides) but usually your primary physician orders the lab and can counsel you on the results. If you are seeing a cardiologist for any reason they will follow your lipid panel closely. The cardiolgists in my town prefer that the primary care doctors order/manage the results. Ldl goals vary.
Any can order. Any doctor and many non md's such as np's can order and interpret cholesterol results. If faced with complex results then seeing someone with an interest and expertise in this area might be the next step. In some cases more advanced testing might be indicated. Lipid specialists can be found throughout the country go to www.Learnyourlipids.Com or www.Lipid.Org.