Is there real evidence based research that says acupuncture works? Do we have believe it for it to work? As a doctor do you believe it?

Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management

In brief: What indication?

Evidence based medicine or research is a western concept and its application to a branch of eastern medicine creates difficulties; in other words, they do not share the same fundamental premise.
Acupuncture can and does work for treatment of certain medical conditions and ailments.

In brief: What indication?

Dr. Bahman Omrani
Dr. Bahman Omrani

In brief: Does work

Personally, I have been amazed at what acupuncture can accomplish, especially in areas of pain control and migraine headaches.
Unfortunately, insurance coverage is almost invariably not available, which i consider very misdirected. But it is a very valuable tool in clinical medicine.

In brief: Does work

In brief: There is evidence.

A number of chemicals/neurotransmitters can be impacted by acupuncture: serotonin, norepinephrine, substance p, gaba, dopamine, b- endorphin, acth, dynorphins, leucine - enkephalin & methionine-enkephalin.
Acupuncture also blocks obstructions in blood flow, lymphatic drainage, nerve conduction and chi. Different forms of acupuncture have different impacts on the body. The strongest form of >>>.

In brief: There is evidence.

of acupuncture is major energy moving protocols that work with major meridians. Many Western trained physicians are not accepting of approaches for which there are not clear scientific explanations. A study released in the Archives of Internal Medicine (10 Sept 2012); reviewed 29 studies involving almost 18,000 people; indicated that acupuncture was found better at pain relief than no treatment or sham treatment. For some conditions it is superior to standard treatments. According to World Health Organization based on studies with controlled clinical trials, acupuncture is effective for chemotherapy adverse rxns , allergic rhinitis, depression, dysentery, dysmenorrhea, epigastralgia, facial pain, headache, hypertension, hypotension, labor induction, pain (knee, neck & back), leucopenia, fetus malposition, morning sickness, nausea, vomiting, dental pain, shoulder arthritis, postoperative pain, renal colic, etc. There is a reason that acupuncture has been around for thousands of years. It is taught in many European Medical schools & is a primary form of medicine in many parts of the world. You do NOT to have believe in it for it to work. I work with a military population. I have had people come in who candidly told me that they would prove it didn't work. Each of those people came away with a profoundly different opinion. There have been studies using sham acupuncture sites that make it clear that the mechanism of action is not placebo. As someone who has received acupuncture I believe in it. As a Western trained physician who was often limited to prescribing medications - it has opened up healing that still amazes me.