What is the best treatment for prostate cancer?

Dr. Tahir Ijaz
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Many options

Generally speaking, options for treatment depend on patient factors (general health, preferences) and tumor factors (gleason grade, psa, clinical stage).
Options include surveillance, radiotherapy, surgical removal of prostate. Radiation can be done with seeds in appropriate patients, external beam (usually imrt) with image guidance (igrt). An emerging radiation tool is radiosurgery.

In brief: Many options

Dr. Tahir Ijaz
Dr. Tahir Ijaz
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Cryotherapy is another option. Stage for stage, & factors balanced, CURE/CONTROL is quite similar; TOXIXITY (side effects) vary widely. Find somone you trust that takes time with you and explains controversies. There is no one size that fits all.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Different opinions

Every doctor has a different opinion on this.
Different options have different side effects and risks. Depending on the patients age, extent of cancer and features of the cancer patients choose between observation, surgery and radiation in the form of external machines or internal seed implants. I personally favor seeds for most patients do to the fact its one day treatment (continued in comment).

In brief: Different opinions

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Also seeds have the lowest impotence and incontinance risks. Seeds implants are also inexpensive (compared to external radiation) and help control costs. All around I feel seed implant is the best but there is too much competition between doctors and hospitals vying for the healthcare dollar.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil