How will I know what does an asthma attack feel like?

Dr. Sean McGhee
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Different things
Some people experience asthma as breathlessness or feeling starved for air, others chest tightness or chest pain, and still others hear or feel the wheezing in their chest.
A few people only have cough, although they are the minority. When severe, there is usually little doubt about the diagnosis, but milder forms can sometimes be difficult to sort out.

In brief: Different things
Dr. Sean McGhee
Dr. Sean McGhee
2 comments
Dr. Brian Novick
some people say it feels like a pile of books pressing on my chest..."hard to take a full breath"
Dr. James Glauber
I have heard an asthma attack described as trying to breathe through a straw.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Terrible....
People describe the sensation as "breathing through a straw.
" it feels like there is not enough air in the room. It is a very scary sensation.

In brief: Terrible....
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
2 comments
Dr. James Glauber
However as a pediatrician I have seen many younger children having asthma attacks that aren't complaining. Sometimes you have to look at how a child is breathing to know whether he/she is having an attack: rapid breathing, using extra muscles in the neck, chest and abdomen to breathe.
Dr. Helena Bentley
Chest tightness with persistent "tight" cough and wheezing. Some patients have said that it fells liike suffocation.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology