What do I do if I have an asthma attack?

Follow your plan. Hopefully, you have a written plan for those situations. You use your rescue medications (inhalers) and may also possibly need steroids for a few days. If your bronchodilators do not provide relief, you may need to call your doctor or 911.
Rescue inhaler. Use your rescue inhaler. If symptoms are not relieved or return, see your doctor. If you have symptoms that require a rescue inhaler more than twice a week, your asthma is poorly controlled and you need an increase in controller meds like a corticosteroid inhaler.
Plan ahead... This is a question that you need to address with your doctor. The answer depends on the severity of your asthma both at baseline and during acute exacerbations. Some patient's are instructed to take extra medicine while others need to report to the er immediately. Please discuss this with your doctor so that you have an action plan in place before you have an acute episode. This can be life-saving.