I have allergies to mites and mold; how do I avoid them?

Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Humidity Control

Both usually thrive in humid conditions (although some molds such as penicillium do not necessarily require high humidity), so using a dehumidifier may help and stopping any water leaks.
For dust mites you should use bedding and pillow encasements and wash your sheets in hot water. A cochrane review also suggests that acaricides in conjunction with the above measures is best.

In brief: Humidity Control

Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Maziar Rezvani
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter

In brief: Dust mite allergy

Mites live mainly in cloth fiber areas, so in mattresses, rugs and upholstery.
You can encase your mattress and pillow, aim for bare floors when you are able and lean toward leather and wood furniture. For mold, it's a matter of ensuring there are no damp areas in your home or workplace--leaks, mainly--plumbing. Or outdoor rainfall seepage, eg basement issues.

In brief: Dust mite allergy

Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter