What are the most common symptoms of guillain-barre syndrome?

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: GBS

Guillain-barre syndrome presents with progressive weakness starting at distal parts of limbs and moving upwards towards the torso.
The extremity eventually may become limp. It can also affect the respiratory muscles and the patient my end up on a ventilator in an icu. Other unusual symptoms are changes in heart and blood pressure.

In brief: GBS

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Jason Adler
I agree. Additional common symptoms are loss of certain types of sensation, a feeling of tingling or pain in extremities, loss of certain reflexes, and trouble swallowing.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Muscle weakness

This is a allergic/toxic reaction to the nervous system in response to an immunologic insult - most commonly a viral infection.
The areas affected, usually starting with the legs and passing upwards can make you helpless and even stop breathing. This is an emergency and you should seeks help immediately.

In brief: Muscle weakness

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care