How can warm salt water heal gums?

Crenation. Crenation causes bacterial cells to contract after exposure to a hypertonic solution, due to the loss of water through osmosis. This causes the bacterial cells to die, thereby decreasing bacterial counts and the toxins they release. The warm water also stimulates blood flow and cleanses the tissues.
Stimulates tissue. Most likely, the high salt concentration stimulates the raw gingival tissue to create new gum tissue and cover over the inflamed tissue. Salt water also causes bacteria to burst, thereby reducing toxic bacterial by-products from irritating the gums.
Salt water and heali. If gum tissue are irritated following a deep cleaning or an extraction, then rinses with warm salt water can help. The salt water is simply flushing the area and keeping it free of debris. Rinsing too forcibly can dislodge the clot from an extraction site so keep the action gentle. Follow up with your dentist if the tissue does not get better within a week.