Should I see a specialist for chronic pain, or can my regular doctor take care of it?

Dr. Susan Ortiz
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Many options
Chronic pain is pain that has lasted for at least six months.
There are many treatment options for pain, not just medication. The best treatment depends on finding the cause of the pain. Your primary doctor may be a good place to start. Once the pain has persisted to the chronic state, you will want to have an expert opinion to prevent permanent impairment and disability.

In brief: Many options
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Susan Ortiz
Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: Chronic Pain
Chronic pain can often be managed by your primary care doctor -- start there first - -pain management may be a necessary referral in difficult cases.

In brief: Chronic Pain
Dr. Harris Cohen
Dr. Harris Cohen
In brief: It depends
I believe that starting with your primary care physician is definitely wise.
He or she will guide you in the initial diagnosis and treatment planning. If you get better, stick with that plan. If your situation is more complicated, you may indeed want to consult with a pain specialist. Your primary care physician may want to work in collaboration with a pain specialist.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Eric Weisman