My sister says she has sciatica. Are family members more likely to get the same thing?

Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology
In brief: To some degree
If her sciatica is due to bulging discs in the back or a hereditary subtype of arthritis, then it is more likely to run in families.
That being said, it is a complex disease with multiple interacting factors, and genetics plays only one part.

In brief: To some degree
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Julian Bragg
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Hard to Say
Back problems in general can be related since you may have similar genes, but I wouldn't worry so much about that.
Keep your back strong by doing core strengthening exercises and hopefully it won't be an issue.

In brief: Hard to Say
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Adam Levy