My sister says she has mucormycosis. Are family members more likely to get the same thing?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not contageous

Mucormycosis is a fungal infection that occurs in persons with seriously compromised immune systems.
I hope that your sister is under the care of competent, experienced physicians. She will benefit also from loving support from her family. Good luck to her.

In brief: Not contageous

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allison Greco
General Practice

In brief: Not necessarily

Mucromycosis is a fungal infection that typically affects the sinuses in people with compromised immune systems.
It does not commonly affect healthy people. Unless there is an immune-deficiency that runs in your family, you will not be more likely to develop this infection.

In brief: Not necessarily

Allison Greco
Allison Greco
Answer assisted by Allison Greco, Medical Student