Is sacroiliac joint injection a very common procedure?

Yes. I do several procedures per day. This is the joint between your hip bone and tail bone in the back of your pelvis. It can cause pain and/or numbness down the leg on that side. Ask your doctor how many of this type of injections he/she does, what they are injecting into the joint and what they hope to accomplish with the injection.
Yes. Sacroiliac joint injections are commonly performed to achieve either diagnostic (evaluate the source of low back pain) or therapeutic (treat pain related to sacroiliac arthritis) goals.