Can a deviated septum or a nasal collapse be caused through a rhinoplasty operation?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Possibly

There are specific techniques which must be followed in order to perform rhinoplasty and minimize the risks of septal deviation or nasal collapse.
These complications are always possible, but they are unlikely in skilled hands.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

Yes, a rhinoplasty can cause a deviated nasal septum or nasal collapse.
Yet, in the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon these complications are extremely rare, if not unheard of!

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Possible

I understand you are concerned of possible failure of rhinoplasty.
As with any surgical interventions, a chance of failure is not 0. I cannot comment on specific types of failure not knowing the details, but again all surgeries carry some risk of not being successful.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Deviated septum

A deviated septum can be corrected in the context of rhinoplasty.
Deviation of the septum is not often a sequela of rhinoplasty but overresection of cartilage can lead to nasal valve collapse.

In brief: Deviated septum

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Donald Yoo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Nasal collapse

Septal deviation and nasal valve collapse unfortunately can be iatrogenic (caused by prior surgery) in nature.
That is why it is so important to choose your primary surgeon carefully to minimize this risk.

In brief: Nasal collapse

Dr. Donald Yoo
Dr. Donald Yoo
Dr. Keegan Duchicela