My 10 year old daughter is overweight and she snores whilesleeping. She is always disturbed while sleeping and alsohas a bed wetting problem. Do children get sleep apnea?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Sleep Apnea

About 10% children that age would snore in their sleep, but only 1-3% of snorers have obstructive sleep apnea.
Possible causes are; enlarged tonsil/adenoids, obesity, genetic syndromes such as down's syndrome, family history of sleep apnea. I recommend her pediatrician evaluate to rule out apnea. Wish her well.

In brief: Sleep Apnea

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. David Chrisman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Definitely

It is not normal for children to snore.
The new guidelines for the american pediatric association are that children who snore should get a sleep study. Bed wetting is related to sleep problems. More than likely your child may have large tonsils and/or adenoids that may need to be removed. Disturbed sleep means she is not getting restful sleep which can affect her growth and development. See ent.

In brief: Definitely

It is not normal for children to snore.
Dr. David Chrisman
Dr. David Chrisman
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Childhood obesity is also a risk factor for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) as well as diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure & earlier onset of puberty. OSA can cause symptoms of mild- moderate ADHD. Her pediatrician can obtain a history of her daily diet, activity & screen time, do a physical exam, order appropriate blood & urine tests & an overnight sleep study, then refer to ENT.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

Sleep apnea is due mainly to compromised metabolism in brainstem where automatic breathing is controlled during sleep.
Your daughter needs to stop all forms of sugar and get some vitamin therapy for her state is potentially dangerous. The obesity is an effect of poor diet.

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Alan Ali
Pediatric Neurologist is advised. I do not think Obesity is alone the cause of snoring!.