How much should I worry about abdominal skin itching?

Find the cause. Many conditions cause itching. Since you are specific about the abdomen, i'll focus on those that could cause itching there. Commonly recent weight gain can cause itching due to stretched skin. Nickel allergy can cause itching below the belly button due to contact with the metal snaps in jeans. Pressure from tight clothes can cause itching in people with dermatographism. These few come to mind.
Any rash? Skin itching is common, and can be chronic or only occur for a short time. You should see your doctor if it has been present for several days or if there is a rash. If you recently started a new medication, that could also be the cause.