How long can I wait with ankle swelling to see if it goes away without seeing a doctor?

Dr. Ty Endean
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Time of injury
That depends on how long ago your ankle was injured.
If it is in the past several days and it generally is getting better than you can wait. If it has been several weeks then i would suggest a consultation with an orthopedic surgeon. If your swelling has been going on for years or is in both legs than i would first see my primary care doctor.

In brief: Time of injury
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
In brief: Depends
Depends. How much swelling? Can you partially bear weight on it? If no -> need xray.
Returning to a normal gait (no matter how slow you have to walk) is the key to success. Physical therapy and hopefully they will give you a home exercise program and a encourage an early return to walking. When you are sitting, you should be moving your foot and ankle, even if it is only a slight movement.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine