I have shooting pains in my left ring finger. Started today and worse when I am typing on the computer. I do a lot of office work and am left handed.

Dr. Soren Singel
Neurosurgery

In brief: Dvorak may help

If you carry a ring on that finger switch it to your right hand.
If symptoms persist or there was no ring on that finger in the first place, you may have tendonitis or (less likely) a nerve issue (see a neurologist for an emg). In any case, it may be time to switch from qwerty to dvorak on your keyboard. http://www.mit.edu/~jcb/dvorak.

In brief: Dvorak may help

Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Joseph Oommen
Neurology

In brief: Work Ergonomics

This possibly is a problem with the ulnar nerve.
The most common compression site is the elbow where we think of our "funny bone" as being. Watch carefully how you are using your body and where you are positioning your elbows at work. Physical and occupational therapist evaluations or alexander technique teachers if available would also be of tremendous use. Pinched nerve at neck is also possible.

In brief: Work Ergonomics

Dr. Joseph Oommen
Dr. Joseph Oommen