How common is it for somebody to get diabetic retinopathy?

About one-third. The incidence of diabetic retinopathy is about 1/3 of diabetics according to government statistics. The condition is related to how well the diabetes is controlled and if you have controlled any tendency toward high blood pressure. Take care of both of these conditions and you are less likely to get the retinopathy.
Sometimes. Diabetic retinopathy is a leakage and abnormal growth of blood vessels in the back of the eye. It can cause serious loss of vision but treatment is available. To get it you first need to be diabetic, and to be diabetic for many years (at least 4-6), and to control your diabetes poorly. All diabetics need a regular eye examination to detect and initiate treatment for this.