How come I have skipped periods, but nobody else in the family has it?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Common
There is a lot of variation in bleeding between women.
Sometimes women in a family may have a common reason for skipping periods (like pcos) but many times it is very individual. You should be evaluated, but there is usually no reason to worry. At least 30% of women at some point skip periods.

In brief: Common
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Joseph Pena
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Seek evaluation
I agree with the previous answer. Just wanted to stress the point, "you should be evaluated.
" while true that skipping irregular cycles is not uncommon and usually benign, it is important that an etiology be sought. Pcos, thyroid disorders, pituitary tumor, hypothalamic amenorrhea, ovarian/adrenal tumors, perimenopause, are a few possible causes of irregular cycles, which may affect treatment

In brief: Seek evaluation
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Joseph Pena
Dr. Jane Van Dis