Can Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) act as an antidepressant?

In brief: Maybe sometimes

In my practice, with my patients, I have prescribe Adderal regularly for patients with ADHD, and sometimes to patients with depression.
In those cases, the patients are on full therapeutic doses of the antidepressant, and their mood is better, but their concentration is still poor. I have found that small or modest doses of Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) help tremendously. Used alone though, no.

In brief: Maybe sometimes

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg

In brief: Not normally

Adderall (dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine) is not an antidepressant.
It is a stimulant medication that is used to treat add/adhd. It would not be used first line even as an off label medication. If other medications have failed it could be considered as an adjunct medication in a situation where depression presents with low energy level. It might also be considered as an off-label option for depression with a traumatic brain >>>.

In brief: Not normally

brain injury but it would be an adjunct & would not be first line.
Dr. Eric Weisman