How come I have herniated disk, but nobody else in the family has it?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: How do you know?
Disc herniations are fairly common & can be found in people with no symptoms, over 20% as we get to middle age.
Disc herniations due not have to be genetic but disc disease in general can run in families. They are also found more in smokers (2x) more frequent than in non smokers.

In brief: How do you know?
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Activity and other..
Your physical activity history may contribute to your predisposition to getting a herniated disc.
It is not necessarily your family history. Smoking can play a role as well.

In brief: Activity and other..
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Let me explain
A disc herniation is caused by a confluence of many variables some are unknown none are hereditary.

In brief: Let me explain
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Eric Weisman