Will a sprained ankle require you to wear a leg boot or a cast?

Depends on severity. Depending on the severity of the injury you may need an ace bandage, strapping of the ankle, an ankle support brace, a rigid walking boot, or a short leg cast. Have it evaluated by your podiatrist and see what is best for you.
Ankle Sprain. It may heal on its own with rest, ice, compression and elevation and a gradual return to your normal activities. However, a period of time in a boot or use of crutches may be necessary depending on the severity. A physical exam by an orthopedic physician will better be able to determine your appropriate course of treatment. Hope this helps and good luck!