How to get rid of the swelling from a sprained ankle, fast?

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Many possibilities

R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation.
Immobilization with a splint or brace may be of benefit in the initial phase of recovery. Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Once improved, mobilization and physical therapy can help restore strength and function. Healing times may vary.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: RICE

You should start with rice as a home treatment.
After 48-72 hours you may switch to heat (instead of ice). As your pain starts to subside you may add stretching as tolerated, and massage. Once pain is gone, then gently return to activity as your strength, flexibility and proprioception need time to recover. If the pain persists see an orthopedic physician.

In brief: RICE

Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine