How come I have burkitt lymphoma, but nobody else in the family has it?

Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not genetic

This is a rare type of lymphoma that is not inherited so it is not surprising that nobody else in the family has it.

In brief: Not genetic

Pathology

In brief: Dumb luck

I'm sorry. Burkitt's is not a hereditary disease.
Like all cancers, it is the result of random genetic mutations. These happen all the time throughout our bodies and whether a particular combination results in burkitt's is simply luck. I hope you have a favorable outcome, as many people do.

In brief: Dumb luck

Pathology

In brief: Spradic Cancer

Most cancers, including burkitt lymphoma are sporadic.
Even though there are genetic susceptibilities to cancer, most do not affect other family members and burkitt lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphoid tissue.

In brief: Spradic Cancer

Dr. William Forsythe