Do people with primary sclerosing cholangitis have a lot of pain?

Jennifer Anyaegbunam
General Practice

In brief: Depends

Primary sclerosing cholangitis ( psc) causes destruction of the bile ducts inside and outside of the liver. The first symptoms of the disease include fatigue, itching and jaundice, or yellowing of the skin and eyes.
Psc however, is associated with a number of hepatobilliary disorders like pancreatitis, which may cause pain.

In brief: Depends

Jennifer Anyaegbunam
Jennifer Anyaegbunam
Answer assisted by Jennifer Anyaegbunam, Medical Student
Dr. Ralph Layman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Not common

Most people with psc don't routinely complain of pain.
Psc affects the bile ducts and can lead to cirrhosis of the liver. This can cause many things jaundice, itching, fatigue, bleeding. I suppose if you still have your gallbladder you could have some pain from obstruction of the outflow of the gallbladder. But pain isn't the first thing i think of with psc.

In brief: Not common

Dr. Ralph Layman
Dr. Ralph Layman