How do I prepare for surgery?

Stop smoking. Eat lightly but w nutritious choices. Stop smoking. Do not over drink. Go through all meds you take w surgeon including vitamins.
Surgery prep. It depends on the kind of surgery. For general anesthesia, a vital preparation is to insure your stomach is completely empty, which means nothing to eat or drink for at least 12 hours prior to being put to sleep. This is to make sure there is nothing in your stomach which may "come up" as you are being put to sleep. If this happens, it can lead to aspiration pneumonia which is very serious.