Do lots of people get obstructive sleep apnea, or is it unusual?

Lots of people do. 24% of men and 9% of women 30-60 years of age in the USA will qualify for OSA if allcomers are studied by an overnight sleep study. If only people who complain of daytime sleepiness are included, then the number drops precipitously to: 4% of men and 2% of women. Still, a pretty high prevalence, isn't it?
Obstract sleep apnea. It may affect 10% of the population, tends to occur between the ages of 40 and 60, and affects more males than females. Two-thirds of patients with OSA are overweight and fatty infiltration of the neck and tongue may also contribute to airway obstruction during sleep. Interestingly, most patients with OSA are not aware of the problem despite being exhausted on awakening.
Much more common. Sleep apnea seems to be a lot more prevalent now due to environmental polliutants, poor nutrition, and other variables.
Very common. I see it very often in my oral surgery practice. Has an impact on safely sedating orals surgery patients.