Do lots of people get obstructive sleep apnea, or is it unusual?

Dr. Strahil Atanasov
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Lots of people do

24% of men and 9% of women 30-60 years of age in the USA will qualify for OSA if allcomers are studied by an overnight sleep study.
If only people who complain of daytime sleepiness are included, then the number drops precipitously to: 4% of men and 2% of women. Still, a pretty high prevalence, isn't it?

In brief: Lots of people do

Dr. Strahil Atanasov
Dr. Strahil Atanasov
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dentistry

In brief: Very common

Obstructive sleep apnea is quite common.

In brief: Very common

Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Gary Lederman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Obstract sleep apnea

It may affect 10% of the population, tends to occur between the ages of 40 and 60, and affects more males than females.
Two-thirds of patients with OSA are overweight and fatty infiltration of the neck and tongue may also contribute to airway obstruction during sleep. Interestingly, most patients with OSA are not aware of the problem despite being exhausted on awakening.

In brief: Obstract sleep apnea

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Much more common

Sleep apnea seems to be a lot more prevalent now due to environmental polliutants, poor nutrition, and other variables.

In brief: Much more common

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Very common

I see it very often in my oral surgery practice.
Has an impact on safely sedating orals surgery patients.

In brief: Very common

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Eric Weisman