Do lots of people get fibromyalgia, or is it unusual?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

In brief: About 4%

? about the incidence of fibromyalgia is that is about 4% population & crosses all races and cultures.
Even children can develop the symptom constellation called fibromyalgia. Most fibromyalgia sufferers are women. In my mind the explanation for female prominence is that women inherit joint ligament laxity. There is a known relationship between fibromyalgia and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.

In brief: About 4%

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
10 comments
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Fibromyalgia, FM, sufferers commonly have: femaleness, youth, first degree female relatives with FM, obesity, oft multiple childbirths, pelvic girdle injury from MVA/falls/lifting accidents, prolonged sedentariness & weak soft tissues due to illness or injury & Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. Unifying factors: soft tissue injury in body tower with unstable joints repetitively stressed by gravity.
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Certain co-factors predispose the evolution & development of Fibromyalgia by magnifying chronic gravitational repetitive stress of deconditioned soft tissues: Obesity, joint instabilities resulting from ligament injuries, Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, pelvic girdle instability, & spinal scoliosis all stress & strain the upright body musculoskeletal tower.
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Lots

Lots of people, more often women than men, have fibromyalgia.
2% of the millions of people in this country have it.

In brief: Lots

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Fibromyalgia

It is actually more common than we used to think.
Reason for high prevalence nowadays is better tools to diagnose it, & more patients coming forward with symptoms instead of old fear that it is "all in my head".

In brief: Fibromyalgia

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham