Do I have to get some blood tests before doing a thoracentesis?

Dr. Joseph Roosth

A doctor will usually want a few simple blood tests to make sure you do not have some potential for bleeding prior to a thoracentesis.
It depends a lot on what medications you are currently taking, especailly blood thinning medications and your general level of health at the time of the thoracentesis. A protime test and a blood count are typical tests to do prior.

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
I should add it also depends on the urgency of need for the procedure. I a person with life threatening fluid build up in the chest, draining some of the fluid may be more critical than knowing the bleeding risk.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology