Do doctors see a lot of patients with diabetic retinopathy?

Dr. Bernard Godley
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery
Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of vision loss in working aged adults.
It may become increasingly common as more americans become ill with diabetes. It is recommended that diabetics get annual screenings for retinopathy by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Bernard Godley
Dr. Bernard Godley
Dr. Tod Haller
I agree! Even as a general ophthalmologist I see diabetic retinopathy on a daily basis, even in patients who were unaware they have diabetes
Dr. Alvin Fried
Internal Medicine - Diabetology
In brief: About 1/3
The incidence of diabetic retinopathy is about 1/3 of diabetics according to government statistics.
The condition is related to how well the diabetes is controlled and if you have controlled any tendency toward high blood pressure. Take care of both of these conditions and you are less likely to get the retinopathy.

In brief: About 1/3
Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Steven Seres