Do a lot of people get de Quervain's tenosynovitis?

Dr. Michael Raemisch
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Pretty common
Pretty common. So it's well known and treated.

In brief: Pretty common
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Michael Raemisch
Dr. Raymond Raven
Surgery - Hand Surgery
It can develop spontaneously or after trauma. I see it commonly in women who recently had children. It develops from a combination of tissue swelling from hormones and from how new mothers lift their babies. Symptoms often resolve spontaneously. Those cases that don't usually respond to a single steroid injection, which is safe while breast feeding.

Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. Raymond Raven
Dr. F. Thomas Kaplan
The tissue swelling can also occur independent of hormonal influence. We see it commonly in people who have strained or irritated the tendons from activity. Over time the compartment that the tendons pass through gets thicker, making the tunnel the tendons pass through tighter
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine