Do a lot of people get constipation?

Dr. David McQuade
General Practice

In brief: Constipation Child

Constipation in children can manifest as small hard stool, pain when trying to defecate &/or abdominal pain.
It may take weeks-months to fully resolve the problem so does require patience . Increasing fibre (wholemeal breads/pasta, fruit, vegetable) and water in the diet are the most effective natural remedies. Over the counter laxatives are helpful & safe e.g. lactulose or paraffin.

In brief: Constipation Child

Dr. David McQuade
Dr. David McQuade
Dr. Joseph Roosth

I wish more people would discuss this with me and always ask my patients about it.
In most people constipation can be improved by drinking more water, increasing fiber in the diet, exercise and in bad cases, prescription medication. The typical american diet of fast food and lack of exercise contributes terribly to this problem. Usually can be fixed but requires lifestyle change.

Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth