Can you die from depression?

In A Way, Yes. Depression itself can lead to death when a depressed person commits suicide. Also, people who struggle with long periods of depression tend to neglect their health, which can indirectly lead to shortened life spans.
Yes. Good question, with severe major depression, a person may die by suicide, or malnutrition and dehydration from refusing to eat and drink. Finally, in the case of a person whose spouse dies after, say, 50 yrs of marriage, the surviving spouse may "give up" and die soon after.